The word “health” refers to a state of complete emotional and physical well-being. Healthcare exists to help people maintain this optimal state of health.
Fast facts on health
Here are some key points about health. More detail is in the main article.
- Health can be defined as physical, mental, and social wellbeing, and as a resource for living a full life.
- It refers not only to the absence of disease, but the ability to recover and bounce back from illness and other problems.
- Factors for good health include genetics, the environment, relationships, and education.
- A healthful diet, exercise, screening for diseases, and coping strategies can all enhance a person’s health.
Factors for good health
Health depends on a wide range of factors.
A person is born with a range of genes, and in some people, an unusual genetic pattern can lead to a less-than-optimum level of health.
Environmental factors play a role. Sometimes the environment alone is enough to impact health. Other times, an environmental trigger can cause illness in a person who is genetically susceptible.
Access to healthcare plays a role, but the WHO suggests that the following factors may have a bigger impact on health than this:
- where a person lives
- the state of the surrounding environment
- education level
- relationships with friends and family